I just have a hard time believing/accepting the various Marian beliefs.
Allow me, to explain WHY this is taking place. It’s a combination of several active factors:
- Because Morally, Theologically and even plain old Logic ought to permit one to comprehend what God HAS MADE incomprehensible to ALL faiths that oppose His constant OT and NT teaching of One True God; with Only One set of TRUE Faith beliefs and practices and following His Own IT tradition of Only One Chosen People; Christ Choose and factually [biblically and historically provable] One True Church.
- Nowhere in the Bible which many Protestants claim as the exclusive source of religious truth can ANY Protestant [or anyone else for that matter] provide evidence that either Yahweh or Christ ever, even one time, approved of any-competing faith beliefs systems. And yet under the “non-Catholic-Christian” banner there are many thousands of them. All knowingly or not, choosing to believe that they know more, or know better than Christ, and the One Church He founded, guides and protects, [READ John 17:13-22], carefully and prayerfully.
- Neither can it be shown, much less, proven with evidence, that the RCC is NOT the One True Church, or somehow “lost this” calling and position. Mt. 16: 18-19“And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; andupon this rock I will build my church,[SINGULAR] and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.  And I will give to thee [ALL OF] the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever thou shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose upon earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven. .. Mt. 28: 16-20“And the eleven disciples went into Galilee, unto the mountain where Jesus had appointed them. And Jesus coming, spoke to them, saying: All power is given to me in heaven and in earth. Going therefore, teach ye all nations; [NO-ONE else; no other faith has been given this mandate FROM GOD!] baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have [TAUGHT & ] commanded you: and behold I am with you all days, even to the consummation of the world.”
- One MUST understand that ALL faith-belief systems outside of the CC ARE factually opposing Gods clearly stated Divine Will. AND THE necessarily PENALTY IMPOSED and chosen BY GOD, who MUST be Fair and Just, IS TO BLOCK THEIR ABILITY TO RIGHTLY UNDERSTAND UNTIL SUCH TIME AS THEY TURN BACK TO GOD AND SINCERELY SEEK HIS DIVINE ASSISTANCE.
Matthew 11:15 “He that hath ears to hear, let him hear”
Matthew 24:11 ”And many false prophets shall rise, and shall seduce many.”
Matthew 13:15 “For the heart of this people is grown gross, and with their ears they have been dull of hearing, and their eyes they have shut: lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them”
Matthew 7:15 “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in the clothing of sheep, but inwardly they are ravening wolves”
Matthew 18:6 “But he that shall scandalize one of these little ones [This means any uninformed, or not rightly trained; yet God seeking] that believe in me, [Means believe they ARE seeking God’s truth] it were better for him that a millstone should be hanged about his neck, and that he should be drowned in the depth of the sea.”
Luke.5:3” I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.”
To be clear here, any and ALL who oppose God’s Divine and Perfect Will, fit the definition of a biblical “false prophet.” The first step to true repentance is recognizing that you have been duped.
Each of these is worthy of an in-depth reply; however I fear if I DO that, it’ll be too long and you may lose interest. So I’m going to try my version of brief, and let you lead me from that point.
Let’s back up a step or two and ask a rhetorical question>
Q: WHY do hold these specific believes?
A: Because that is the way you have been trained and conditioned.
So here’s a review of some Mary Basics & the Catholic Church
- The CC does NOT mandate praying to Mary or any of the Saints.
- That IS a personal piety option
- We ARE obligated to accept and to venerate and reverence Her as GOD CHOICE [out of literally BILLIONS of options] to be His Mother in a REAL sense. Lk.1: 26-36
- We are to accept in Faith the Dogmatic proclamation’s the Church HAS made about Mary: Virgin Birth; Assumption into heaven; Sinless from Her Conception.
- The difficulty it seems to me in regards to Mary; is Protestants have an indoctrinated [almost hatred’ ] of Her. Yet such a position ignores Her merits and value to God.  Because of the hang-up caused by a lack of understanding and plain logic, of Just How MUCH Mary freely choose to give and the degree of Suffering She endured is say “I AM the handmaiden of the Lord: DO WITH ME AS YOU SAY” For example: Mary could have been according to Jewish Laws; STONED to death for becoming pregnant while yet unmarried.
- Take some time [a few moments] to read this site: http://www.sevensorrows.com/explanation.htmhttp://www.sevensorrows.com/explanation.htm
- It is also a huge step to recognize that what others choose to teach about the RCC is a lie. EVEN IF THEY ARE UNAWARE of it. The Lie that Catholics Worship Mary is the basis for all of your doubts and misconception, and its rooted in the absolute necessity to disprove Catholicism in-order to create an opportunity to impose their own man-made faith beliefs.
Luke 1:38: “And Mary said: Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it done to me according to thy word. And the angel departed from her”.
Luke 1:48: “Because he hath regarded the humility of his handmaid; for behold from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed”
Like Mediatrix of All Graces, how some saints say without devotion to Mary one cannot be saved, how God chooses to grant graces mostly through Mary, etc
As I previously stated; prayers and Marian devotions [prayers and novenas] are NOT mandated by the CC. They Are however extremely PRUDENT.
John 19: 25-28 “Now there stood by the cross of Jesus, his mother,and his mother’ s sister, Mary of Cleophas, and Mary Magdalen. When Jesus therefore had seen his mother and the disciple standing whom he loved, [John] he saith to his mother: Woman, behold thy son. After that, he saith to the disciple: Behold thy mother. And from that hour, the disciple took her to his own. Afterwards, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, said: I thirst.”
Here’s what this MEANS: Christ when dying for US, at the last moments of His Live; Christ Desired to DO MORE FOR US and fulfills this desire by sharing His Mother with all humanity. So He literally GIVES His Mother, [whom he called “WOMEN; the generic name” to John [whom he called his disciple; AGAIN the generic name]; as here John represents ALL of US in this dialog. WHY? Because Christ our ALL-KNOWING God Knew what lie honors and esteem lie in store for Her.
- Here from the Catholic Catechism:
266 “Now this is the Catholic faith: We worship one Godin the Trinity and the Trinity in unity, without either confusing the persons or dividing the substance; for the person of the Father is one, the Son’s is another, the Holy Spirit’s another; but the Godhead of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit is one, their glory equal, their majesty coeternal” (Athanasian Creed: DS 75; ND 16)”
2135 “You shall worship the Lord your God” (Mt 4:10). Adoring God, praying to him, offering him the worship that belongs to him, fulfilling the promises and vows made to him are acts of the virtue of religion which fall under obedience to the first commandment”.
971 “All generations will call me blessed“:[Luke 1: 48] “The Church’s devotion to the Blessed Virgin is intrinsic to Christian worship.” [Here “worship” means “prayer Life] The Church rightly honors “the Blessed Virgin with special devotion. From the most ancient times the Blessed Virgin has been honored with the title of ‘Mother of God,’ to whose protection the faithful fly in all their dangers and needs. . . . This very special devotion. . . differs essentially from the adoration which is given to the incarnate Word and equally to the Father and the Holy Spirit, and greatly fosters this adoration.” The liturgical feasts dedicated to the Mother of God and Marian prayer, such as the rosary, an “epitome of the whole Gospel,” express this devotion to the Virgin Mary
2097 “To adore God is to acknowledge, in respect and absolute submission, the “nothingness of the creature” who would not exist but for God. To adore God is to praise and exalt him and to humble oneself, as Mary did in the Magnificat, confessing with gratitude that he has done great things and holy is his name. The worship of the one God sets man free from turning in on himself, from the slavery of sin and the idolatry of the world.”
Nowhere, not one time does the catechism teach that we Catholics ARE to “worship Mary”.
Then what about “give us this day our daily bread”? Is it “give to Mary so she can give us the bread?”
NO! Mary’s only Role in the Most Holy Eucharist was to give to the CC, Her Son, whose Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity we DO RECEIVE in Catholic holy Communion.
What about Protestants who do not have devotion to Mary? What about the missionaries who died for their faith?
I wish to address ALL of your concerns, but don’t understand the question as worded. Yes there are many Protestants who God has given the Grace of right Wisdom and Understanding concerning Mary; who too, at Christ bequest, is the MOTHER of ALL humanity, and our personal embracery between us and God.
Is the “essential?”; not in the sense of being absolutely necessary; but “yes: in the sense that one is foolish to DENY what Christ obviously intended for man’s spiritual benefit.
John 19: 25-18; above
I just don’t feel comfortable believing that we’re too sinful, so it’s better to go through Mary.
I’m unsure where this idea came from. Frankly, it’s a novel concept, and new to me. People for almost 2,000 years have chosen to Go to Mary as the Mother of God; because it BENEFITS them to do so. Not out of an obligation, but for personal GAIN.
http://en.lourdes-france.org/deepen/cures-and-miracles CHECK this out, and this is just from Lourdes in France. There are other places also. This is what we mean when we say Protestants simply do not reverence Mary as the MOTHER of GOD, sufficiently. Additionally to the physical-miracles; are the uncounted Spiritual Miracles. We choose to pray to Mary as the Intercessor of choice, par-excellence; because no-one has a closer bond and better access to God; HER SON! What Mary and the Saints DO for us when we pray THROUGH them [ALL prayers are aimed in the end at God], is ADD their own prayers on-top and in ADDITION to our own, and then personally present them to God on our behalf. By all measurements the most frequently offered prayer to Mary is ‘THE HAIL MARY” which is clearly Biblical in origin.
Hail Mary, [Lk. 1:28]
Full of Grace [Lk. 1:28]
The Lord is with thee [Lk 1:27]
Blessed are you among all women [Lk 1:42]
And Blessed in the fruit of your womb: Jesus [Lk. 1;42]
Holy Mary [Lk.1: 28]
Mother of God Lk.1:35
Pray for us sinners [our Catholic petition]
Now and at the hour of our death
Amen” [I BELIEVE!]
Now I’m just angry, and I don’t feel like praying anymore. I tried. But clearly, God is not granting me the grace to believe. And on top of that, I’m an exceedingly wicked sinner.
Here’s what we ALL need to understand about prayer. It’s a REQUEST, not magic! God has committed to answer all Prayers that ARE for our Benefit. Ist Spiritually, than physically [when it will BE for our Spiritual benefit], and then other things. BUT HE WILL NOT SAY “YES” TO EVERY PRAYER. God can also say “NO!” and “NOT NOW!” God is a loving father who KNOWS what is best for us, and knows the intent of our hearts.
Prayer ALSO is a means God uses to check and monitor the LEVEL of our love and commitment to Him. Saint Monica; the mother of saint Augustine prayed for him for 17 YEARS before he converted to Catholicism. He fathered a child out of wedlock, and lived a depraved life for many years. He’s now a Doctor of the RCC, and a Saint.
It is wrong to try to attempt to tell God what HE MUST do, and, or, when and how HE MUST do it! Pray MUCH and believe! But allow God to BE God!
It’s so easy for other people.
Not necessarily true. It surely was NOT in my earlier life! And I know MANY who endured more and longer them I had too. Is it easier for some? SURE. But usually it’s because they are MORE humble, more repentant, more sincere. We ARE to have an active role in these happenings.
But all I see is giving to Mary so much honor and praise at the expense of giving praise and glory to God. The explanation I read is, If you give Mary honor, you give God glory.
This MY FRIEND is exactly what I meant earlier about Protestant brain-washing. Anything and EVERYTHING we do to / THROUGH Mary HONORS Her Son: God! Mary is NOT competition to God as you have been taught RATHER She is the one Human being who comes closest to being a mirror image of Her Son. Mary KNOWS this, God Knows this and the RCC Knows this. She is but a God-given means to the end; the end being Eternal salvation. Not the only way to get their; BUT without doubt, one of the very BEST ways to do so. That’s WHY it is NOT mandated. Love freely given can be perfected. Forced love can never attain that goal. Matthew 5:48 “Be you therefore perfect, as also your heavenly Father is perfect.”
But in the end, isn’t God the One Who is infinite and almighty?
YES! In the Beginning, the Middle, and the End! Always, every-time and everywhere.
This seems like a good place to explain Mary’s Role; GIVEN TO HER BY A GOOD AND PERFECT GOD [once again we see the human tendency to think that mere mortal men can or Do know MORE, and or Do know Better than God Himself. How silly is that?
Mary is NOT the Source of Grace
Mary does NOT decide who is offered which type or how much grace
What Mary Does is accept the OFFER of Grace from Her Son: who is God
Than as God’s Intercessor; passes then on to us.
And I suspect; prays that we will be wise enough, humble enough to accept them.
And the Rosary…so many Hail Mary’s…. WHICH ARE BIBLICALLY FOUNDED! Go back up and READ slowly the WORDS of it. The Bible is INSPIRED BY GOD; so God intended this to be included. 2nd. Tim. 3:16
Mary must hate me. [NOT A CAHANCE!]
This is tiring, and what’s coming back to my mind is the belief that the Catholic Church has human-inspired practices.
Here’s a site worth your time to check out about the Early Church and Mary
I’m open to discuss ANY of your issues and concerns. BUT I do expect you to be specific. I can’t read your mind MY FRIEND. I can’t explain, or at least attempt too, unless you share what it is you’re talking about. We’ve addressed Mary; what else is bothering you?
Know that you’re in my thought and prayers MY FRIEND!
God Bless you,